Barwell, Leicestershire, England
Barwell.Boar stream.Barwalle 1043.
Old English Barewelle 1086
Leicestershire Directory 1849
Barwell is a large village and parish 2 miles from Hinckley, 11 miles SW from Leicester and 97 from London. In the union of Hinckley.
1340 inhabitants and 1590 acres of land, chiefly clay.
Parish also includes chapelries of Stapleton and Potters Marsdon. The living is a rectory value 1000 pounds with 180 acres of glebe and a good residence, in the patronage of the Rev George M?? MA. The church is dedicated to St Mary and is an ancient Gothic building with a square tower, containing 4 bells. Wesleyans and Prim Methodists have chapels. Mrs Herford is the lady of the manor.